Mrs. Alicia Henson » FAQ


How do I sign up for the ACT or SAT?
All students in North Carolina take the ACT for free in March of their Junior year.  No registration is required for this test administration.  Any other time a student wishes to take the ACT, he/she must register online at Students who want to register for the SAT must do so online at
How do I send my ACT or SAT scores to colleges?
Students have the option to select 4 schools to send score reports to (for free!) prior to taking the ACT or SAT.  After the test, students can send official ACT reports from their ACT Student account and official SAT reports from their College Board account for a fee.
How do I send my transcript to colleges?
Students can send their transcripts to colleges in North Carolina through the CFNC Transcript Manager.  Mrs. Henson uploads student transcripts to the Common App when students add her information to the Counselor Section.  For out-of-state colleges not on the Common App, students may request to have transcripts mailed, faxed, or sent electronically via ScribOrder.
How do I register for next year's classes?
The class registration process generally takes place between January and March of each year. Counselors and advisors will meet with 8th-11th grade students to select courses through their Xello Course Planner. MAHS staff will visit the Mount Airy Middle School each Spring to walk them through the course selection process.  Students may login to Xello at any time to view their Course Planner.  Their username is NC-[student ID #] and the password is typically the student's 8-digit birthday.
Do I have to take World Language courses in high school?
The UNC minimum admission requirements include 2 units of the same world language.  Most 4-year colleges and universities require at least 2 units of a world language, and some require or recommend 3 units.  Students who plan to enter the workforce, military, or attend a 2-year community college or technical school do not have to take a world language in high school.
What is the FAFSA?
FAFSA stands for the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid.  Please DO NOT pay for it!  The FAFSA is filed electronically for each year that a student plans to attend college at, and is what the government and colleges uses to determine a student's eligibility for financial aid.  It can be completed beginning in the October prior to the year a student plans to attend college.